How To Write A Christmas Movie
November 28 - 29
8 p.m. to 10 p.m. Eastern (5 p.m. to 7 p.m. Pacific)
What would the holidays be without a happily-ever-after romance? From Hallmark movies to bestselling books, this genre is wildly popular, with plenty of opportunity for aspiring and established writers.
How do you plot a classic holiday romance? What do holiday movie producers look for in a script? What kinds of tension are expected between characters, how can you introduce unique twists, and how do you come up with a memorable meet-cute?
This two-evening course is for screenwriters and fans alike— for anyone who wants a behind-the-scenes look at the making (and marketing) of holiday joy.
The Holiday Market
Holiday movies have become big business, with more of them in demand every year. And that means producers are looking for new material year-round. Whether you’re a seasoned holiday screenwriter, you’re new to the genre, or you simply can’t get enough of holiday movies and want to learn how they’re made, this class is for you.
From fresh ideas to a memorable meet-cute to that all-important happily-ever-after, Our Story Summit experts will teach you the ins and outs of holiday screenplays and help you polish your script until it shines.
Who doesn’t need a love story at this time of year?
Stories of holiday romance have a greater impact than we may realize. Often, it seems, their combination of beauty, love, humor and happy endings help people get through tough times.
One participant, for instance, told us she couldn’t have gotten through chemotherapy without them.
Others turn to Christmas movies when they feel lonely or they’re missing a loved one.
Another said she and her mom get together every year to watch their favorite Christmas movies. It’s one of their most beloved holiday traditions.
The truth is, these stories bring us together and keep us alive.
So if they hold a place in your heart—as a writer or a viewer—please join us. You’ll fall in love with happy endings all over again, making this a true holiday celebration.
See What People Were Saying After Last Year's Holiday Class:
Here’s How the Two Nights Will Unfold
Wednesday, November 28
Introduction to the Christmas Movie Genre (15 minutes)
- Brief history and evolution of Christmas movies.
- Importance and influence of the holiday season in storytelling.
Understanding Core Themes and Tropes (30 minutes)
- Popular themes in Christmas movies (e.g., redemption, family, magic, love).
- Essential Christmas movie tropes (e.g., Christmas miracles, the 'real' Santa, hometown holiday returns).
The Business of Christmas Movies (25 minutes)
- Overview of the growing demand for holiday content.
- Major buyers in the industry: Hallmark, Lifetime, A&E, Netflix, and Apple. Discussion on each platform's unique style and preferences for Christmas content.
Brainstorming & Workshop: Crafting Your Premise (40 minutes)
- Students pitch their initial Christmas movie ideas.
- Peer and instructor feedback on feasibility, uniqueness, and adherence to Christmas spirit.
Thursday, November 29
Crafting Compelling Characters (25 minutes)
- Developing a relatable protagonist and supporting cast.
- The role of antagonists in Christmas movies (e.g., Scrooge characters, the Grinch).
Plot Development & Story Arcs (25 minutes)
- The significance of the "Christmas Magic" moment.
- Ensuring a balance between conflict and heartwarming resolutions.
Understanding Buyer Preferences (20 minutes)
- Deep dive into what each major buyer (Hallmark, Lifetime, A&E, Netflix, Apple) typically looks for in Christmas content, and how to tailor your pitch accordingly.
Workshop: Plot and Character Feedback (30 minutes)
- Students share their developed plot outlines.
- Group feedback focusing on character arcs, climax, and resolution.
Pitching Your Script (20 minutes)
- Basics of a good pitch and how to tailor it for different buyers.
- Discussion on contracts, rights, and potential earnings from selling scripts to major platforms.
Wrap-Up & Next Steps (10 minutes)
- Tips on refining and continuing the pitch process.
- Encouragement for future scriptwriting and selling endeavors
At the end of these sessions, participants will not only have a blueprint for their Christmas movie script but also a clear understanding of the business side and how to approach the key players in the industry.
It’s going to be a VERY jolly class!
For this festive time of year, we want to make our Christmas class extra special. That’s why we have several gifts and surprises in store.
AND the course will be filled with good cheer and fun surprises, making it a holiday event you don’t want to miss.
If you love holiday romance, there’s no place you’d rather be November 28 - 29.
Disclaimer: How To Write A Christmas Movie is not sponsored by Hallmark Channel, nor is Story Summit affiliated with the Hallmark Channel.
Regular Price: $XXX
Today's Price Only: $XXX
for four hours of instruction and celebration
November 28 - 29
8 to 10 p.m. Eastern (5 p.m. to 7 p.m. Pacific)
Please note: Our classes are designed specifically for live participation, so your attendance is important. If you need to miss a class for any reason, you’ll receive a passcode-protected link to watch the recordings after the course is over.
A Peek at Our Past Virtual Classes
JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER!
Thanks for submitting!